Our Activities: Covenant of Mayors
The Covenant of Mayors at a glance
- First European Commission’s (DG Energy) initiative directly targeting local authorities and their citizens to take the lead in mitigating the effects of climate change through the development and implementation of sustainable energy policies – the Covenant is the result of intensive lobbying by networks such as Climate Alliance;
- Based on a voluntary commitment by signatories to meet and even exceed the EU 20% CO2 emissions reduction target through increased energy efficiency and renewable energies;
- Portrayed by the European institutions as an exceptional model of multilevel-governance and subsidiarity in action, the Covenant of Mayors develops or strengthens existing partnerships between local and regional/national/European authorities.
The step-by-step Covenant process
In order to meet their target, signatories commit to a series of steps - from political commitment to concrete actions.
Further information on the Covenant of Mayors and the commitments on www.eumayors.eu.
Image on the left: click to enlarge
Climate Alliance within the Covenant of Mayors
Within the Covenant of Mayors, the role of Climate Alliance is twofold:
1) Running - in partnership with several other local government networks - the Covenant of Mayors Office (CoMO) as well as its branch office (CoMO-EAST) for Eastern Europe, Southern Caucasus and Central Asia regions;
2) Acting as an official Covenant Supporter for Climate Alliance members (e.g. facilitating exchange of experience and sharing of best practices among members, managing several Covenant-related projects etc.).
Learn more about the activities of Climate Alliance on the following pages:
Contact persons at Climate Alliance
- Climate Alliance Brussels Office (Covenant of Mayors Europe)
- Climate Alliance East Offices (Covenant of Mayors East)